Magnesium is the fourth most abundant mineral in the human body, it plays a vital role in the health of the body and brain and is involved in hundreds of important biochemical reactions. UK government statistics indicate that magnesium consumption has sharply declined over the past century:
- More than 1 in 2 people are deficient in Magnesium.
- 20% of the population are dangerously deficient in this vital mineral.
- There is a very high rate of deficiency in older adults, as well as most children and adolescents (1).
Assessing your magnesium levels
Clinical tests for magnesium levels are ineffective and inaccurate as only 1% of magnesium in the body is stored in the blood. There is a high likelihood of low magnesium levels if you experience any of the following symptoms: Muscle cramps, poor sleep, fatigue, high blood pressure, mood disorders, hormonal issues, migraines.
Dietary Sources of Magnesium
Our need for magnesium has never been so great, yet modern diet and stressful lifestyles have resulted in us getting less than ever before. The best dietary sources include: Almonds, pumpkin seeds, dark chocolate, beans, whole grains and leafy green vegetables. It’s difficult to replenish magnesium entirely through diet, so we can support our intake with magnesium supplements.
Choosing a Magnesium Supplement
Not all types of magnesium offer the same recognizable benefits. Magnesium Chloride from the ancient Zechstein sea is the purest form of magnesium and transdermal use has many benefits over the use of oral supplements:
- Quick absorption through the skin. It doesn’t need to pass through the digestive system, or liver where many nutrients are lost.
- High bioavailability. It is able to enter the blood and tissues of the body and rapidly raise magnesium levels. Popular oral forms like magnesium oxide can have absorption rates as low as 4% and cause unpleasant digestive side effects (2).
- Fast and effective way to restore Magnesium levels.
“Magnesium…The missing link to total health” – Dr. Carolyn Dean, The Magnesium Miracle